Pages

Thursday 31 January 2008

Booking through Thursday - quirky


This week’s question is suggested by (blogless) JMutford:

Sometimes I find eccentric characters quirky and fun, other times I find them too unbelievable and annoying. What are some of the more outrageous characters you’ve read, and how do you feel about them?

I think my previous responses to BTT might, in passing, have indicated a liking for books full of quirky characters, particularly the kind who might be described as "English eccentrics". Favourites would range from E.F. Benson's wonderful Lucia to Dirk Gently, owner of a "holistic" detective agency.

Conscious that I have never entirely "fitted in", my predilections tend towards misfits and outsiders, though I much prefer harmless eccentrics to psychopaths. A new favourite is Usagi Yojimbo, a Samurai rabbit and ronin (lordless warrior) striving to make his way in the early days of the Shogunate. Not exactly Watership Down!

Finding a character unbelievable or annoying is enough to make me abandon a book and, I have to admit, when I give up on a book, I pretty much erase it from memory. But I'm sure other people's answers will remind me of characters I've loathed.

12 comments:

Idaho Gal said...

A holistic detective agency? Interesting...

Anonymous said...

The Bears are very worried and have banned my bringing home any Samurai Rabbits!

heather (errantdreams) said...

I love good quirky characters. :) I think most of my friends qualify...

Chrisbookarama said...

I like quirky characters too!

Lesley said...

Wow! Samurai rabbits! Now that calls for real suspension of disbelief ...

pussreboots said...

Good choice with Dirk Gently. Happy BTT.

Anonymous said...

I too like quirky characters. Both in fiction and life!

I too am one of those..LOL!

Jodie Robson said...

Thank you all for your comments! Made me giggle.

The Samurai rabbit is great fun, and was last seen being employed as bodyguard to a panda, so The Bears might approve, TT.

Anonymous said...

I like eccentrics and outsiders, too. :)

I hope you have a great Friday!

Anonymous said...

Eccentric and quirky characters sometimes make the book more intriguing. :)

Anonymous said...

I love quirky characters too, but sometimes quirky can get annoying. I don't remember ever having abandoned a book because of annoying characters, though.

Happy BTT! :-)

Jodie Robson said...

TL and Matt, welcome! quirky is the spice of life, I think!

Nithin, I can't remember giving up a book because of quirky characters, I think they need to be unconvincing to annoy me.