Pages

Thursday 3 January 2008

Booking through Thursday - Anticipation


Last week we talked about the books you liked best from 2007. So this week, what with it being a new year, and all, we’re looking forward….

What new books are you looking forward to most in 2008? Something new being published this year? Something you got as a gift for the holidays? Anything in particular that you’re planning to read in 2008 that you’re looking forward to? A classic, or maybe a best-seller from 2007 that you’re waiting to appear in paperback?

I can't remember ever starting a new year with such a sense of anticipation: with new reading challenges just starting, much my reading is already planned, although it will be interspersed with plenty of randomly chosen books too, the results of browsing through the library shelves or the spoils of raids on secondhand bookshops. And, of course, recommendations from fellow bloggers, who have begun to influence so much of my reading. I am looking forward to tracking down more books that I would never have heard of before. Last year brought several books which will become perennial favourites; if the coming year does anything like as well, then it will be a very good year indeed.

Specifically, I am looking forward to William Gibson's latest book Spook Country coming out in paperback. I love Gibson and savour every page of his books. I was also pleased to see that there is a new series from Garth Nix in the offing, called The Seventh Tower. It looks promising - hope it's as good as the Old Kingdom trilogy. Anything new by Neil Gaiman will be pounced on immediately.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right. After joining those reading challenges, our reading is planned. However the Picoult I read on New Years day was unplanned!

Anonymous said...

BTW, you link at BTT is not working!

Jodie Robson said...

Thanks, Gautami, I didn't think the link was working. My plan has a random element to keep me happy - sounds like yours does too!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh, I haven't read Gibson or Nix. Isn't it lovely how books can add so much to our lives?

Jane said...

I know what you mean about the sense of anticipation. I feel it too! I have a great (and growing) TBR shelf.
Spook Country looks pretty interesting. I will have to check it out! Happy BTT!

Melody said...

Reading challenges are fun, not to mention we will be introduced to new authors/books by fellow bloggers too. I'm really looking forward to another year of great reading this year! Happy reading.

Chrisbookarama said...

I have a few reading challenges this year already. I love the used bookstore.

Anonymous said...

I think the Nix may be the final episode of the series that started with Mister Monday. I'm sorry to say that it isn't a patch on the Old Kingdom Books.

Jodie Robson said...

Table Talk: the Nix book seems genuinely to be the start of a new series, though there are still two of the Keys to the Kingdom books to come as well. I agree that they are nothing like as good, but I liked Ragwitch.