Pages

Thursday 20 September 2007

Sunshine and Roses

btt button

The reverse of last week’s question:

Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .


Funnily enough, my choice of book when I'm feeling really good is much the same as my choice when I'm miserable. This is not the time for taking on a huge reading challenge, or a book which risks spoiling the mood. My solution - and this is where things get a bit obsessive - is to have a pile of books saved up that I am particularly looking forward to. For Christmas I will need to have at least 4 or 5 such to feel really secure, though they can be interspersed if necessary with some relatively run-of-the-mill detective novels - a bit of Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers, perhaps. This Christmas I shall try to have a Margery Allingham in the pile, probably the next in the Dresden Files series, and perhaps something new that's been highly recommended. Oh, and the last of the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobbs is a contender this year, if I can wait until then. A couple of good cookery books and a really beautiful gardening book make excellent additions. Then I can curl up with a cup of Imperial Spice tea and a small brown dog, and enjoy.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I could read just about anything when happy, I'd probably dive head-first into experimenting with a good cookbook, given a truly glorious day. :) The tea sounds wonderful!

Melody said...

Great answer!
I wish I have thought of cookbooks in the first place!

Happy BTT!

Marianne Arkins said...

Good choices, all! Makes me want to hunker down with a book right now, all cozy and warm (only I have a BIG black dog, so that part wouldn't work, LOL).

Mine's up here

Debi said...

Oh, that sounds like a delightful pile of choices...you'll be all set!

Stephanie said...

That's a really good answer! I think I'm kind of the same way. Last week, I could read anything depressing for fear of getting MORE depressed. This week, I don't want to read anything depressing because I'm in a good mood!! I am so weird sometimes!!

--Deb said...

A new book by a favorite author would pretty much cap off such a day for me!

Chris said...

I'm pretty much the same.

den said...

Really cozy. Sounds perfect if you ask me ^_^

Jodie Robson said...

It's nice to know there are people who feel the same way! A big black dog would be good too, if I had one. I only have a small brown dog and a slightly bigger brown dog, but the bigger one likes to keep an eye on my husband in case he does anything exciting (like throw a ball...)

Oh, and the tea IS wonderful!

Jodie Robson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A cup of tea, a great book, family doing their own thing by my side. Ah! Bliss!

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like you need a full day or two of reading! :-)