Pages

Tuesday 16 December 2008

What I like about Christmas...


A simple thing, but I was enjoying my contemplation of this basket of goodies, and reluctant to end the pleasure by actually starting to wrap presents. However, final posting dates loomed, as does my imminent departure for southern climes, and yesterday I thought I had better make a start. Now, thank goodness, various parcels should be en route to friends and family, a bag sits ready for the Devon visit, and even the family packages are enveloped in tissue and tasteful silk plissé ribbon (well, apart from those that are still on their way from Amazon). Because, of course, I have been utterly stupid, in committing myself to a filial visit the weekend before Christmas - what was I thinking? When am I going to make the mince pies and sausage rolls required by my own dear children? What about the Christmas cake? (Yes, indeed, it's much to late to even contemplate now, it should have been steeping in brandy for the past month.) Because on Christmas Eve, when I get back, I am going to be hoovering, making beds, tackling endless quantities of washing and cleaning out the chickens. The gentle ritual of making cheese straws while listening to the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols - you're joking, I shall to be rehanging the bathroom curtains. Ho hum (bug).

5 comments:

mountainear said...

Chill - as my young men would say. Chill.

That hamper looks wonderful - what lucky recipients.

I shall think of you as I make mince pies to the Nine Lessons and Carols. Cheese straws would be a good alternative.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oddly enough I too have committed myself to a visit to my parents in Devon just before Christmas to come home on Christmas Eve - synchronicity!
Luckily the new year is when we are having a house full so can probably manage to produce a Christmas day for the two of us. I too will be cleaning out chickens.

Scriptor Senex said...

My daughter and her partner will be coming up from Devon. At the risk of sounding like one of those folk who throws his car keys in a pot at raunchy parties - perhaps we should all get together and swop families so as to reduce all the travelling!

Jodie Robson said...

M'ear, I shall try to chill, and if I get a moment with the Nine Lessons and Carols it will be very soothing to think that you are making mince pies.

Elizabeth, our journeys seem to echo each other quite often, back and forth to London, and to Devon.

SS, what a splendid idea!

Juxtabook said...

I hope you can relax and enjoy your weekend. A good bakery will supply your Christmas treats and you can still listen to Nine Carols whilst hanging your curtains. It will still all be lovely!