Pages

Friday 10 August 2007

Bliss upon bliss!

This morning's post brought the new Victoria Clayton book, A Girl's Guide to Kissing Frogs. I can't wait to read it, though I know, of course, that I shall compulsively save it up for a special occasion. (This is A Family Issue: much to the despair of everyone else, I'd happily save the Christmas presents until Boxing Day, or maybe even Easter, to savour the pleasure of anticipation. I don't know anyone else who does this.)

Anyway, back to the book: not only is it by an author I particularly enjoy, but the heroine is a ballet dancer and it's set in Northumberland. What could be more blissful? It will be like reading Ballet Shoes all over again - actually, I could read that too, come to think of it.

In contrast, Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential also arrived. He's such a huge influence on both sons that I decided I had to read it, but it should be amusing too. Saw some of the series adapted from it a while ago. My favourite moments came from the episode in which an entire kitchen brigade attempt (and fail) to despatch a delivery of rabbits. Unfortunately, the satellite box died before we finished watching. At the end of the book I shall probably know far more about nefarious kitchen practices than I really want to, and will never eat in a restaurant again.

No comments: